Recombinant Human IL-8
- Brand BD Pharmingen™
ELISA Standard (Routinely Tested)
Functional assay (Tested During Development)
- Storage Buffer Lyophilized in an aqueous buffered solution containing BSA.
- Regulatory Status RUO
Regulatory Status Legend
Interleukin-8 (IL-8) is an 8 kD protein containing 72 amino acid residues. It promotes neutrophil chemotaxis and degranulation. The 72 amino acid IL-8 is the predominant form secreted by monocytes and lymphocytes.
Formulation and Purity
Purified human IL-8 was found to be > 98% pure as measured by SDS-PAGE analysis and an absorbance assay based on the Beers-Lambert law. It possesses ≤ 0.1 ng endotoxin per µg human IL-8 as measured using a chromogenic LAL assay. Recombinant human IL-8 is a lyophilized aqueous buffered solution containing 50 µg bovine serum albumin per 1µg recombinant human IL-8. The product contains no preservatives.
Suggested Companion Products
Preparation and Storage
This preparation contains no preservatives, thus it should be handled under aseptic conditions.
Store product at -80°C prior to reconstitution, or for long term storage of stock solutions.The product can be reconstituted in sterile neutral buffer containing carrier protein* such as human or bovine serum albumin, aliquoted and stored at -80°C at a minimum concentration of 25ug/ml for six months. For in vitro biological assay use, we recommend carrier-protein concentrations of 0.5 -1 mg/ml. For use as an ELISA standard we recommend carrier-protein concentrations of 5 - 10 mg/ml. NOTE: Failure to add carrier protein or store at indicated temperatures may result in a loss of activity.
- Since applications vary, each investigator should titrate the reagent to obtain optimal results.
- Source of all serum proteins is from USDA inspected abattoirs located in the United States.
- IL-8 is protected under U.S. Patent Nos. 5,652,338 and 5,698,196.
- Please refer to www.bdbiosciences.com/pharmingen/protocols for technical protocols.
1. ELISA Standard: Recombinant human IL-8 is useful as a quantitative standard for measuring human IL-8 protein levels in an IL-8 specific sandwich ELISA with the purified G265-5 antibody (Cat. No. 554716) as a capture antibody and the biotinylated G265-8 (Cat. No. 554718) as the detection antibody. To obtain linear standard curves, doubling dilutions of this human IL-8 standard from 500-4 pg/ml should be included in each ELISA plate. For specific methodology, please visit the protocols section or chapter on ELISA in the Immune Function Handbook, both of which are posted on our website, www.bdbiosciences.com.
Note: This ELISA pair is recommended primarily for measuring cytokine from experimental cell culture systems. These ELISA reagents are not recommended for assaying serum or plasma samples. For measuring human IL-8 in serum or plasma the BD OptEIA™ human IL-8 ELISA Set (Cat. No. 555244) and OptEIA™ human IL-8 ELISA Kit (Cat. No. 550999) are specially formulated and recommended.
2. Representative Biological Activity: Measured Calcium flux using lysed whole blood. The ED50 for these effects is typically 0.15 - 0.30 µg/ml or 0.1 -0.5 ng/ml respectively. Please note that this application is not routinely tested at BD Biosciences.
3. Ligand Blocking Control for Immunofluorescent Staining of Cytokines: Recombinant human IL-8 can be used as a blocking control to demonstrate specificity of IL-8 staining by the directly conjugated G265-8 antibody (Cat. No. 554720). The intracellular cytokine staining technique and use of blocking controls are described in detail by C. Prussin and D. Metcalfe. For specific methodology, please visit please visit the protocols section or chapter on intracellular staining in the Immune Function Handbook, both of which are posted on our web site, www.bdbiosciences.com.
*Note: Carrier proteins should be pre-screened for possible effects in an appropriate experimental system. Carrier proteins may effect experimental results due to toxicity, high endotoxin levels or possible blocking activity.