Alexa Fluor® 488 Rat Anti-Mouse IL-2
Clone JES6-5H4 (RUO)
- Brand BD Pharmingen™
- Concentration 0.2 mg/ml
- Isotype Rat IgG2b
- Reactivity Mouse (QC Testing)
Intracellular staining (flow cytometry) (Routinely Tested)
- Immunogen Mouse IL-2 Recombinant Protein
- Storage Buffer Aqueous buffered solution containing ≤0.09% sodium azide.
- Regulatory Status RUO
Regulatory Status Legend
The JES6-5H4 monoclonal antibody specifically binds to mouse interleukin-2 (IL-2), a multifunctional cytokine that plays pivotal roles in immunity and tolerance. It is produced by activated T cells and affects the activation, growth, proliferation and/or differentiation of various cell types including T and B lymphocytes and their precursors, LAK cells, NK cells, and monocytes/macrophages. IL-2 mediates its biological activities by binding to IL-2 receptor complexes. The intermediate affinity IL-2R is comprised of IL-2Rβ (CD122) and common gamma chain (γc; CD132) subunits, whereas the high-affinity IL-2R is comprised of IL-2Rα (CD25), IL-2Rβ, and γc subunits. The JES6-5H4 monoclonal antibody binds to IL-2 and neutralizes its biological activity.
This antibody is routinely tested by flow cytometric analysis. Other applications were tested at BD Biosciences Pharmingen during antibody development only or reported in the literature.
Alexa Fluor® conjugates are highly photostable and remain fluorescent over a broad pH range. The excitation and emission maxima are nearly identical to those of FITC. However, Alexa Fluor® 488 tends to be brighter and more optimal for intracellular applications. Due to nearly identical excitation and emission properties but different spillover characteristics, FITC and Alexa Fluor® 488 cannot be used simultaneously. Alexa Fluor® 488 exhibits extraordinary photostability, which makes it highly suitable for fluorescence microscopy.
Suggested Companion Products
|Resources & Tools|
|Spectrum Viewer||Panel Designer||Spectrum Viewer||Download TDS||Regulatory Document Website|
Preparation and Storage
The monoclonal antibody was purified from tissue culture supernatant or ascites by affinity chromatography.
The antibody was conjugated to Alexa Fluor® 488 under optimum conditions, and unreacted Alexa Fluor® 488 was removed.
Store undiluted at 4°C and protected from prolonged exposure to light. Do not freeze.
- Since applications vary, each investigator should titrate the reagent to obtain optimal results.
- Please refer to www.bdbiosciences.com/us/s/resources for technical protocols.
- For fluorochrome spectra and suitable instrument settings, please refer to our Multicolor Flow Cytometry web page at www.bdbiosciences.com/colors.
- Caution: Sodium azide yields highly toxic hydrazoic acid under acidic conditions. Dilute azide compounds in running water before discarding to avoid accumulation of potentially explosive deposits in plumbing.
- Alexa Fluor® 488 fluorochrome emission is collected at the same instrument settings as for fluorescein isothiocyanate (FITC).
- The Alexa Fluor®, Pacific Blue™, and Cascade Blue® dye antibody conjugates in this product are sold under license from Molecular Probes, Inc. for research use only, excluding use in combination with microarrays, or as analyte specific reagents. The Alexa Fluor® dyes (except for Alexa Fluor® 430), Pacific Blue™ dye, and Cascade Blue® dye are covered by pending and issued patents.
- Use of these products to measure activation antigens expressed on mononuclear cell subsets for the purpose of monitoring immunoregulatory status can fall under one or more claims of the following patents: US Patent Nos. 5,445,939, 5,656,446, 5,843,689; European Patent No. 319,543; Canadian Patent No. 1,296,622; Australian Patent No. 615,880; and Japanese Patent No. 2,769,156.
- Alexa Fluor® is a registered trademark of Molecular Probes, Inc., Eugene, OR.
Recommended Assay Procedure:
Immunofluorescent Staining for Flow Cytometric Analysis: The JES6-5H4 antibody is useful for immunofluorescent staining and flow cytometric analysis to identify and enumerate IL-2 producing cells within mixed cell populations. Alexa Fluor® 488-conjugated antibody (Cat. No. 557725) is especially suitable for these studies. For optimal immunofluorescent staining for flow cytometric analysis, the anti-cytokine antibody should be titrated. For specific methodology, please visit the protocols section or chapter on intracellular immunofluorescent staining in the Immune Function Handbook, both of which are posted on our website, www.bdbiosciences.com.
A useful control for demonstrating specificity of staining is either of the following: 1) pre-block the PE-conjugated JES6-5H4 antibody with ligand (e.g., recombinant mouse IL-2, Cat. No. 550069) prior to staining, or 2) pre-block the fixed/permeabilized cells with unlabeled JES6-5H4 antibody (Cat. No. 554425) prior to staining. The staining technique and blocking controls are described in detail by C. Prussin and D. Metcalfe. A suitable rat IgG2b isotype control for assessing the level of background staining on paraformaldehyde-fixed/saponin-permeabilized mouse cells is Alexa Fluor® 488-A95-1 (Cat. No. 557726); use at comparable concentrations to antibody of interest. For specific methodology, please visit our web site, www.bdbiosciences.com, and go to the protocols section or the chapter on intracellular staining in the Immune Function Handbook.