Alexa Fluor® 488 Rat Anti-Mouse IL-4
Clone 11B11 (RUO)
- Brand BD Pharmingen™
- Concentration 0.2 mg/ml
- Isotype Rat IgG1
- Reactivity Mouse (QC Testing)
Intracellular staining (flow cytometry) (Routinely Tested)
- Immunogen Partially Purified Mouse IL-4
- Storage Buffer Aqueous buffered solution containing ≤0.09% sodium azide.
- Regulatory Status RUO
Regulatory Status Legend
Interleukin-4 (IL-4) is a pleiotropic cytokine that has many roles, such as inducing the differentiation of naïve helper T cells (Th0 cells) to Th2 cells, stimulating activated B-cell and T-cell proliferation, and promoting immunoglobulin class switching to IgG1 and IgE in mouse B-cells. IL-4 is expressed by CD4 T-cells, mast cells, basophils and eosinophils. IL-4 was previously known as B-Cell Differentiation Factor (BCDF) or B-cell Stimulatory Factor (BSF1). The 11B11 monoclonal antibody specifically binds to mouse IL-4. The immunogen used to generate the 11B11 hybridoma was partially purified mouse IL-4 prepared from the supernatant of Phorbol 12-Myristate 13-Acetate (PMA)-stimulated EL-4 cells. The 11B11 antibody is reportedly a neutralizing antibody.
This antibody is routinely tested by flow cytometric analysis. Other applications were tested at BD Biosciences Pharmingen during antibody development only or reported in the literature.
Alexa Fluor® conjugates are highly photostable and remain fluorescent over a broad pH range. The excitation and emission maxima are nearly identical to those of FITC. However, Alexa Fluor® 488 tends to be brighter and more optimal for intracellular applications. Due to nearly identical excitation and emission properties but different spillover characteristics, FITC and Alexa Fluor® 488 cannot be used simultaneously. Alexa Fluor® 488 exhibits extraordinary photostability, which makes it highly suitable for fluorescence microscopy.
Suggested Companion Products
Preparation and Storage
The monoclonal antibody was purified from tissue culture supernatant or ascites by affinity chromatography.
The antibody was conjugated to Alexa Fluor® 488 under optimum conditions, and unreacted Alexa Fluor® 488 was removed.
Store undiluted at 4°C and protected from prolonged exposure to light. Do not freeze.
- Since applications vary, each investigator should titrate the reagent to obtain optimal results.
- Please refer to www.bdbiosciences.com/us/s/resources for technical protocols.
- Alexa Fluor® 488 fluorochrome emission is collected at the same instrument settings as for fluorescein isothiocyanate (FITC).
- For fluorochrome spectra and suitable instrument settings, please refer to our Multicolor Flow Cytometry web page at www.bdbiosciences.com/colors.
- The Alexa Fluor®, Pacific Blue™, and Cascade Blue® dye antibody conjugates in this product are sold under license from Molecular Probes, Inc. for research use only, excluding use in combination with microarrays, or as analyte specific reagents. The Alexa Fluor® dyes (except for Alexa Fluor® 430), Pacific Blue™ dye, and Cascade Blue® dye are covered by pending and issued patents.
- Caution: Sodium azide yields highly toxic hydrazoic acid under acidic conditions. Dilute azide compounds in running water before discarding to avoid accumulation of potentially explosive deposits in plumbing.
- Alexa Fluor® is a registered trademark of Molecular Probes, Inc., Eugene, OR.
The PE-conjugated 11B11 antibody can be used for multicolor flow cytometric analyses to identify and enumerate IL-4 producing cells within mixed cell populations. For optimal immunofluorescent staining with flow cytometric analysis, this anti-cytokine antibody should be pretitrated (≤ 0.5 µg mAb/million cells). For specific methodology, please visit the protocols section or chapter on intracellular staining in the Immune Function Handbook, both of which are posted on our web site, www.bdbiosciences.com.