Purified Mouse Anti-Human CD31
Clone WM59 (also known as WM-59) (RUO)
- Brand BD Pharmingen™
- Alternative Name EndoCAM; GPIIA'; PECA1; PECAM1; Platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule
- Concentration 62.5 µg/ml
- Isotype Mouse IgG1, κ
- Reactivity Human (QC Testing) Rhesus, Cynomolgus, Baboon (Tested in Development)
Flow cytometry (Routinely Tested)
Immunohistochemistry-frozen, Immunohistochemistry-zinc-fixed (Tested During Development)
Immunohistochemistry-formalin (antigen retrieval required) (Not Recommended)
- Workshop No. V P025
- Entrez Gene ID 5175
- Storage Buffer Aqueous buffered solution containing BSA, goat serum, and ≤0.09% sodium azide.
- Regulatory Status RUO
Regulatory Status Legend
The WM59 monoclonal antibody specifically binds to platelet endothelial cell adhesion molecule-1, (PECAM-1, PECAM1), which is also known as GPIIA', or EndoCAM. CD31 is a 130 kDa type I transmembrane glycoprotein that belongs to the Ig gene superfamily. CD31 has wide tissue distribution and is expressed on platelets, monocytes, granulocytes, NK cells, T cell subsets, and in high amounts on endothelial cells. CD31 functions as a vascular endothelial cell adhesion molecule and is involved in the transendothelial migration of leucocytes in inflammatory responses. It might be involved in thrombosis, angiogenesis, and wound healing. The WM59 appears to recognize an epitope proximal to extracellular domain 2 of CD31.
Clone WM59 also cross-reacts with peripheral blood platelets and leukocytes of baboon, and both rhesus and cynomolgus macaque monkeys. The staining intensity of WM59+ platelets is similiar to that observed with peripheral blood platelets from normal human donors. Lymphocytes, monocytes, and granulocytes react less with WM59 than normal human leukocytes.
Suggested Companion Products
Preparation and Storage
Store undiluted at 4°C.
The monoclonal antibody was purified from tissue culture supernatant or ascites by affinity chromatography.
- Since applications vary, each investigator should titrate the reagent to obtain optimal results.
- An isotype control should be used at the same concentration as the antibody of interest.
- Source of all serum proteins is from USDA inspected abattoirs located in the United States.
- Caution: Sodium azide yields highly toxic hydrazoic acid under acidic conditions. Dilute azide compounds in running water before discarding to avoid accumulation of potentially explosive deposits in plumbing.
- This antibody has been developed for the immunohistochemistry application. However, a routine immunohistochemistry test is not performed on every lot. Researchers are encouraged to titrate the reagent for optimal performance.
- Sodium azide is a reversible inhibitor of oxidative metabolism; therefore, antibody preparations containing this preservative agent must not be used in cell cultures nor injected into animals. Sodium azide may be removed by washing stained cells or plate-bound antibody or dialyzing soluble antibody in sodium azide-free buffer. Since endotoxin may also affect the results of functional studies, we recommend the NA/LE (No Azide/Low Endotoxin) antibody format, if available, for in vitro and in vivo use.
- Species testing during development may have been performed with a different format of the same clone. Selected applications have been tested for cross-reactivity.
- Please refer to www.bdbiosciences.com/pharmingen/protocols for technical protocols.
Immunohistochemistry: For optimal indirect immunohistochemical staining, investigators are encouraged to titrate the Mouse Anti-Human CD31 antibody (clone WM59) (suggested starting dilution of 1:10 to 1:50) and visualize staining via a three-step staining procedure in combination with Biotin Goat Anti-Mouse Ig (Cat. No. 550337) as the secondary antibody and Streptravidin-HRP (Cat. No. 550946) using a DAB detection system (Cat. No. 550880). Alternatively, investigators may want to consider using the Anti-Mouse Ig HRP Detection Kit (Cat.No. 551011), which contains the biotinylated secondary antibody, antibody diluent, Streptavidin-HRP and DAB substrate.